Thursday, March 17, 2011

Make it a Hug a Kid Day!

I received an e-mail from my 3rd grade son’s teacher: “We are having a fun day at school. Can you volunteer your time and read to the class room?” 
My thought: that sounds like fun!
I told my son, Nathan, “Mommy is going to go to school and read to your class-room.”
He said, chuckling, “Mommy, please make sure to wear make-up. The other mommy who read books did not wear her make-up.”
LOL, my son is hilarious!
I picked up a couple of the Dr. Suess books. I arrived at the class room and saw all these beautiful children sitting around me -- all eyes looking at me. I gave them the choice of which books they wanted me to read. I read them Yertle the Turtle by Dr. Seuss and Corduroy by Don Freeman. The children loved the books.
As I watched these children, my heart opened up. It was so nice to read to these precious children. I looked at these children, and thought of each of them. Many of them may not have two parents to read to them.  I don’t know what their world is like after they go home. Do they even have a mom and dad to go to? 
I looked at them, our future of tomorrow. How precious they are! So quickly my heart just fell so in love with these 20 kids. They all had smiles and seemed free of any worries in the world.
Make time today to volunteer to your church or school and sow seeds into a child’s life. It can be as simple as reading them a book. Lets place our focus in our schools,churches and communities. Invest time in your child’s life. It’s about doing the simple things.
Spending quality time with your children is not about buying them the next I-pod, E-box game; it is about investing time reading to them. They grow up so fast! In a blink of an eye, we parents will be sending them away to college. 
This reminds me of when Jesus said in Matthew 19-14, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

“Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.”
-- Charles R. Swindoll
Be Encouraged!
Make it “hug a kid day”!
Blessings,
Estela

1 comment: