Tuesday, January 25, 2011

An Encounter With Jesus


As a mom with all boys, I can get pretty busy. I thank God for the multi-tasking abilities that he has given us to handle several things at a time. Thank you Jesus!
Weekly seeing tons of laundry piling up, I often ask, “who is wearing all these clothes?” My list of challenges continues: keeping my home clean and organized, working from home, staying fit, and cooking healthy meals for my hungry little men.

When my 12 year old son arrives at home from school, I say, “Hello son, how was school today?” His response is “What's for dinner?” My little 2 year old rubs his tummy and says, “Eat, soup, please.” A few hours later my third son walks in the door. “Hi, mom. Can you serve me my food? I am starving.” Then the phone rings and my husband is checking in. “What's for dinner today, Honey? I can't wait to come home and eat dinner.”

This is probably every mom’s daily routine of cooking and running a household. However, I learned a little secret that I am going to share. I started cooking lots of food and freezing some left overs for other meals. Now I don’t have to cook every day. Great advice passed on to me by another mom.

I can get very busy with my everyday responsibilities as a mom and with my everyday job responsibilities. I stop and ask myself, “Am I a Martha today? Am I getting too busy with my homemaking responsibilities? And I am reminded of the story of Jesus entering a certain village and Martha welcomed Him into her house. She was cooking up a great meal for him. (Read Luke 11:38-42 for details of the story.)

I remind myself daily that I choose to be a Mary who sits at the feet of Jesus and hears His Word. When I quickly look at the list of things I must get done before the day is over, the spirit of God presses on my heart again. “Stop, Estela. You need to spend time with me.”

God prompts me to take time throughout the day to feed my spirit through reading his word, prayer and worship. I try to look for the best times – early in the morning or during the day – when I can sit at the feet of Jesus and receive what he has for me. I have learned that when I speak in the heavenly language throughout the day while I do my chores and work, I receive more clarity, which helps me throughout the day. I play worship music – my best worship songs.

If you are a finding yourself real busy throughout the day, set a time when you can get away and spend time with God. Get a small rock and use it as a reminder. Place it in a special place where it will remind you about your time to spend with God. 1 Samuel 2:2 “There is no one Holy like the LORD; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.”

If you are a working mom who works out of the home, place your small rock on your desk as a reminder to stop and take a break. Write “I need to take my break and spend time with God today” on a yellow sticky note and stick it on the rock. On your lunch break or coffee break find a quiet place where you can meditate on God. Spend some time with him throughout the day.

The beautiful part of spending time with the Lord is that He washes us through His word, he renews our mind, every time you open the Bible. He is ready to speak to you a word of encouragement, and He always has an answer for your problem and a solution. He renews our strength. And we can rely on His Strength and His Spirit to help us accomplish the everyday demands on us as moms and wives.

Choose today to be Mary who sits at the feet of Jesus. Look for times throughout the day to pray. Have faith in God and talk to him. He is waiting for us to talk to him – not to just to ask Him for what we need. He is asking for us to worship him, to love Him and to tell Him we adore him.

Provoke an encounter throughout the day. Approach God everyday!
Jesus is with us all day and night, just waiting for us to reach out. Embrace His love. He brings us peace, healing, security, love, wisdom. Do not allow business to steal your time from sitting at the feet of Jesus!

Make it a priority to set a time to sit at the feet of Jesus! When you find yourself too busy, ask yourself “Am I a Martha or a Mary, today?” Choose to have a heart of Mary in this busyness of Life.

Stay Encouraged!

Read this promise:
“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.”
Revelations 3:20
Love Ya!
Estela


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this encouragement and reminder, Estela. I'm not a mother (yet), but it's easy to forget how to be a Mary in the busyness of life. I love your ideas of how to set aside time to sit at His feet. Awesome advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Estela this is so sweet. Isn't it nice to know that just as you feed your hungry little men, God cares enough to feed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful encouragement to all of us busy moms, Estela! It really spoke to my heart!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete